Friday, May 14, 2010

The Market (meat)

As I mentioned in a previous post, there are a lot of markets here. They permeate the sidewalks and side alleys of Hong Kong and there seems to be no end to the things you can buy.

On my way to a casting I saw some fairly amazing things at a market near the Hong Kong "Times Square" and so I thought I'd make a post about some of it.



Something I have seen a lot surprisingly, are these guys on bikes riding around with a can or two of some explosive gas, possibly propane or something similar. They seem to be delivery riders, and the gas tanks always sit in the front basket on the bike balancing haphazardly. They generally ride slowly, and often in the middle of the busy street traffic.








Below you will see photos and videos of some of the things you can buy here in this particular market.
(Above: On the way into the market)


Top Right: This guy just had to show off his pink fish tail.
Top Right: Though for me most of the foods available are not my flavour, some are just bloody and scary. Like this fish, cut in half long ways, and still pulsing with life. Or is that a death spasm?
Top:right: A lot of fish are still alive, and flapping.

Top Left: Guy selling parts (including a tail) of some sort of horse, or cow, or something of the sort.

After a good walk through the butcher fest, my roomy and I decided, lets get some McDonald's.

And on a side and less bloody note, here is a cute/fluffy dog I saw earlier that day whilst walking to the grocery market.



More of the interesting and bizarre to come, as soon as I can capture it.
Please feel free to post comments on any of these posts .. just below.

4 comments: