Monday, April 26, 2010

Hong Kong , Post #1

Soooooooooo....., after seeing many of my friends start up blogs, I have finally caught the bug and am now inspired enough to start my own. Here I will try and write a bit about what I am doing, post pictures, and maybe videos when I can. It will act as a place for me to document and cover some of my stories and at the same time allow me to share my experiences with those who are interested. Thanks for reading and please feel free to comment. NOTE: - Please click images to see full size.

First Post: Day 1 - Tuesday April 27th, 2010
So....after 3 months in Tokyo, Im have now made the step into the Hong Kong market. My flight had a 3 hour layover in Seoul, and took about 6hours flying time in total. Arriving at night in HK I didnt get much of a view on the city except the front door of my Apt building and the apt itself.







Here, (or in this apt building at least), people live in behind their own prison style doors..complete with decorated flower pattern, or whatever you might fancy.




Day one, and already the differences between Tokyo and Hong Kong are vast. Even as I write this there is a car horn blasting on the street below (something rarely heard in Tokyo), which I can hear 16 floors up. The feeling in Tokyo is clean, organized, even synchronised. Here in Hong Kong its much more of the feeling found in China town NYC times 1000000.











Its busy, hectic, constantly moving, and the sounds of non stop construction in the distance are ringing through the streets. My area is surrounded by apt buildings that scrape the sky, 1000's of tiny shops and restaurants, and the roads are filled with cars/taxi's, street cars(double deckers), bus's(also double deckers) and everything in between. There are constantly people crossing the street when they want, where they want, even during the heaviest of traffic (something non existent in Tokyo, but again, much like NYC). The air is warm, and the mix of busy life and tropical surroundings is exhilarating and new.









Today my agency told me I would need to buy a new phone so they can keep in contact with me,...at first I thought.....o shit, a phone?! ..this is going to be expensive. ... however, seeing as a $50 note here is only worth around $5 back home, I thought, maybe I can get something cheap. After talking to my room mate a bit, I was told that I could get one for around $400 HKD (Hong Kong Dollars), as long as it wasn't fancy. So I went walking around the area where my apt is located (Wan Chai), and found a tiny tiny little bookshelf sized shop with the word 'Mobile' on the sign above. For 40 Dollars Canadian, I was able to buy not only a new phone, but also a weeks worth of minutes/txt msging (something ridiculously expensive in Canada). Now I am the proud owner of the tiny KP105 LG phone.

So I finally got my phone setup and connected. I called the agency, they told me to come in and bring my passport and any images I had with me to get my portfolio/book together. I walked over (5mins to the agency), sat down with my booker Yuki, and we discussed what images to use. In the middle of this I mentioned that I hadn't cut my hair in a few months and that I might need a trim. She agreed and immediately setup a visit to the agency's confided hair salon.

I jumped on a bus, and 8 stops later I was standing out front a salon called Osmosis. I stepped in the front door, looked around to see stairs going up to a 2nd floor on my left and a tiny front desk on my right, in what seemed like a 10x10 foot room. I was then lead up the stairs by the lady at the front desk and introduced to my hair stylist. He asked me what I wanted for a cut and I told him I just need a trim of about 3-4 inches and that I would like to get it washed. I was then wrapped in a plastic robe and sent to the back room (dimly lit) where they proceeded to shampoo and condition my hair with the extra bonus of a much needed scalp massage (note: the sinks came complete with a head rest block that supports your head when laying down, so as not to put all the pressure on your neck, ..a very nice touch and something I hadnt seen before). After that I was lead back to my chair, next to a window overlooking the street below and was asked if I would like a drink. Moments later, a stack of magazines and a coffee was handed to me and they began to cover me in yet another layer of plastic protection. The stylist then asked me what length I would like and I motioned to about four fingers thick of hair length. He looked at my hair and told me that he thought chin lenght was the best suitable look for me and after a minute of thinking I said ok, as it was close enough to the length I had originally asked for.

...........

2 Hours later.... having flipped through the latest spring issue of V magazine (in which I saw Marcel's Gucci eyewear campaign on page 1..nice job by the way Marcel) and finishing my coffee, I was starting to think he would never stop cutting. Alas, moments later, he stopped. Pulled out the rear view mirror and showed me the final product. I was happy, but a bit shocked to see so much hair gone. It has been years (3+) since I have had my hair cut this short, but it felt good. After paying the man, I headed home.





Back at the Apt, I recieved a call from my friend who was inviting me out to dinner at the club called Dragon-I. After a few chats online I headed out to meet him around his apt located in the area known as Causeway Bay, only one stop on the subway from my location, Wan Chai.

After arriving, I hung around and took some pics while waiting for him to arrive.



After a few minutes we were united and off to the area called Central, where you can find a lot of high end designer stores/shopping, a lot of tourists, and a bustling night life (clubs, bars, etc). We jumped on the closest tram/street car and were off.





About 20mins later we arrived in Central, we walked a few blocks into the dense maze of streets filled with partys, clubs, bars, and lots and lots of people. After ascending a few flights of stairs we had jumped from the lower street to an upper street above. A small escalator ride up again and we were on the patio of Dragon-I.



(This is the patio and its filled with small bird cages hanging above. On the far right behind the black monolith looking shape in the distance you can see a massive bird cage filled with birds; see images below).





After a lovely dinner featuring platters of chicken, tampura, veggies and rice, sushi, dim sum, an amazing platter of dessert, and a couple glasses of single malt Macallen, along side seeing a friend do her first flaming lambourgini, (see video for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBCPQ0iaVVo&feature=related) we all headed across the street to another club which had a couple ping pong tables and a pool table setup to play. (img below: Notice the 2 golden pool tables in the ceiling ready to lower when ping pong is put away.)





After another few drinks and by the time 1am rolled around I was off in a taxi, on my way to sleep and a new day.





Random Video: - Me stumbling up to the apt at 1am.



1 comment:

  1. hiii i tried to find some contact info but couldnt i was wondering if u would mind if i used that image of the apartment door for an installation im doing. i wont be profiting off it it will just be displayed for a short while as part of a sculpture please let me know if you have an issue or wish to be credited i can be contacted at wyl.chloe@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete